Course attended in Jamia: B.A.(1940)
- He served as Governor of Bihar, West Bengal, and Haryana states.
- He was the Governor of Haryana from 7 July 2004 to 27 July 2009
- He was Governor of West Bengal from 1998 to 1999
- He was Governor of Bihar twice from 1979-1985 and 1993-1998
- He was Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, from 1983 to 1992
- He was a member of the Rajya Sabha, upper house of the Indian parliament from 2000-2004.
- He was Chairman of Union Public Service Commission-UPSC, Government of India from 1974 to 1977.
- He has also been the director of the Jammu & Kashmir Bank
On January 25, 2011 He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian award.The award was for his contribution towards Public Affairs